If you’re like most people, you probably don’t get enough sleep. In fact, according to the Government of Canada’s website, one in three adults doesn’t get the recommended seven to eight hours of sleep per night.
There are a number of reasons why you might not be getting enough sleep. Maybe you have a newborn baby at home and you’re up several times a night caring for them. Or, perhaps you have a demanding job that keeps you working late into the night. Whatever the reason, if you’re not getting enough sleep, it can take a toll on your health.
What Things Can Stop You From Getting a Good Night’s Sleep?
There are a number of things that can interfere with your ability to get a good night’s sleep. These include:
Stress: If you’re worried about work, money or other problems, it can be hard to fall asleep.
Caffeine: Drinking coffee, tea or energy drinks late in the day can make it harder to sleep at night.
Alcohol: While a glass of wine or beer may help you fall asleep initially, alcohol actually disrupts your sleep later in the night.
Nicotine: Smoking cigarettes can also disrupt your sleep.
Electronics: Using phones, laptops or other electronic devices in bed can make it difficult to fall asleep and stay asleep.
How Can You Get a Good Night’s Sleep?
So, what can you do to get more shut-eye? Here are some tips:
- Establish a regular sleep routine. Go to bed and wake up at the same time each day, even on weekends. This will help your body get into a regular sleep cycle.
- Create a relaxing bedtime ritual. This might include taking a warm bath, reading a book or listening to calm music.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol before bed. Caffeine can stay in your system for up to eight hours, so it’s best to avoid it in the afternoon and evening. Alcohol may make you feel drowsy at first, but it can actually interfere with sleep later in the night.
- Keep your bedroom dark, quiet and cool. A dark room will signal to your body that it’s time to sleep. If you live in a noisy area, consider using a white noise machine to help you drift off to sleep. And, if your bedroom is too warm, it can make it difficult to sleep.
- Get up and move around during the day. Exercise can help you sleep better at night. Just be sure to avoid working out too close to bedtime as it can actually make it harder to fall asleep.
Following these tips can help you get a good night’s sleep and improve your overall health.
Why is a Good Night’s Sleep So Important?
Getting enough sleep is important for a number of reasons. It can help improve your mood, increase your energy levels and boost your immune system. Additionally, sleep is essential for memory and concentration. And, getting enough sleep can help you maintain a healthy weight.
How Can Compounding Help?
Compounding can help you get a good night’s sleep in a number of ways. For example, compounding pharmacies can prepare medications that are free of fillers and dyes that can interfere with sleep. Additionally, compounding pharmacies can customize medications to meet your individual needs. For instance, if you have trouble falling asleep, a compounded medication can be prepared that includes a small amount of caffeine to help you drift off.
If you’re not getting enough sleep, talk to your compounding pharmacist or doctor about how compounding could help you get the rest you need.
Getting a good night’s sleep is important for your overall health. There are a number of things you can do to make it easier to fall asleep and stay asleep, including establish a regular sleep routine, creating a relaxing bedtime ritual and avoiding caffeine and alcohol before bed. Additionally, compounding can help by preparing medications that are free of fillers and dyes and customizing them to meet your individual needs.
If you have trouble sleeping, talk to your compounding pharmacist or doctor about how compounding could help you get the restful night’s sleep you need.
Ask a Pharmacist
Not close to us? No problem! Have your doctor fax your prescription and we will ship your custom compound with free overnight shipping.