Calf pain is a pain that people experience in the back of their lower legs. In general, a cramp or muscle strain is the cause of this pain. Additionally, calf pain is also a symptom of something serious. In this post, we shall have a look at in detail about calf pain and what you can do to prevent and avert it.
Causes of Calf Pain
Here are different causes of calf pain:
- Cramp: Often, a cramp or a sudden contraction of muscles causes people to suffer from calf pain. You can experience calf pain when you engage in new exercises, dehydrate, or have a mineral deficiency. Besides, cramps generally go away on their own and promptly.
- Muscle Strain: Two muscles, including the gastrocnemius and soleus, comprise the calf. Further, the aforenamed muscles meet at the Achilles tendon, which is connected to the heel bone. Moreover, overstretching or tearing gastrocnemius and soleus can cause muscle or calf strain. Further, the following are some of the symptoms of calf strain:
- Sudden pain that you may experience at the back of your leg
- Stiff or weak calf when you walk
- You face difficulty rising up onto your toes
Other than a cramp or muscle strain, you may experience calf pain due to Achilles Tendinitis, a bruise due to an injury, or because of diabetic peripheral neuropathy.
When Should You Visit a Doctor If You Have Symptoms of Calf Pain?
You should pay a visit to your doctor if you have symptoms of calf pain, such as:
- Swollen Calf
- Unusually Cool or Pale Calf
- Tingly Leg
- Weak Leg
- Red and Warm Calf
- Swollen Legs with Breathing Problems
- Pain Gets Worse and Does Not Seem to Heal
These are conditions when you should seek medical advice to treat the problem.
What Is the Treatment for Calf Pain?
If you have a muscle cramp, you should first stick to the following treatment in order:
- Give rest to the area.
- Use a covered ice pack to ice the area for twenty minutes.
- Compress the area with the aid of a bandage.
- Elevate your lower leg while you sit or lie down and make sure it is above the level of your heart.
Moreover, you can also take anti-inflammatory medicine to get relief from pain and tackle swelling. In addition, start doing heel raises and calf stretches following forty-eight hours of taking medicines. Further, you should not engage in any physical activity till you can comfortably move your ankle and knee.
How Can You Avert Calf Pain?
It is important before and after a workout to recover and toughen your calf. You should not overwhelm yourself while you engage in workouts. Also, drink lots of glasses of water every day. Some supplements may also prevent cramps; still, there is no conclusive evidence about it. Moreover, if you have diabetes, it is important that you keep your blood sugar levels under control. It is how you can avert calf pain.
How Can a Compounding Pharmacy Help with Calf Pain?
You can experience side effects while using commercially-available medicines to tackle pain like calf pain. You can experience allergic reactions or sensitivities to certain medicines. Nevertheless, contacting a compounding pharmacy with your prescription can help you get custom compounded medications for a treatment, tailored to your needs. Using a compounded formulation won’t only help you avoid the side effects of medicines but also let you enjoy the benefits of your prescription medicine.
Moreover, compounding pharmacies also offer topical pain compounds that you need to apply to the area of the pain to get instant relief from pain. Still, it is important you consult with your doctor first prior to approaching a compounding pharmacy to get compounded formulations.
Calf pain is a pain that you can experience in the back of your lower leg due to a cramp or muscle strain. It is important that you visit a doctor if you experience the symptoms of calf pain. Swollen calf and tingly leg, to name a few symptoms of calf pain. The treatment of calf pain entails resting the area, icing it, compressing it with a bandage, and elevating your leg while sitting or lying down. Anti Inflammatory drugs can also help you get relief from calf pain, but they can trigger side effects, too.
Further, you can get in touch with a compounding pharmacy with your prescription to get compounded formulations for calf pain, tailored to your needs. Lastly, drinking plenty of water can possibly thwart you from calf pain.
Ask a Pharmacist
Not close to us? No problem! Have your doctor fax your prescription and we will ship your custom compound with free overnight shipping.