Did you know that there are over 13 essential vitamins our bodies need to function properly? Out of these 13, vitamin B12 is one of the most important ones, especially for pregnant women and those who are breastfeeding. In this article, we will give you the information you need about vitamin B12, including what it does for your body and where you can find it. We will also talk about the benefits of taking a vitamin B12 supplement and how to choose the right one for you. We will also provide you with some tips on ensuring you get enough vitamin B12 in your diet.
What is Vitamin B12?
It is a water-soluble vitamin that is part of the vitamin B complex. It plays an important role in many processes in the body, including DNA synthesis, red blood cell formation, and energy production. Vitamin B12 is also essential for proper neurological function.
What Does Vitamin B12 Do for the Body?
Vitamin B12 has a lot of important functions in the body, including:
- Helps to produce red blood cells
- Helps with fat and protien metabolism
- Plays a role in DNA synthesis
- Supports neurological function
- May help to prevent some types of cancer
- Can improve mood and cognitive function
Where Can I Find Vitamin B12?
It is found in various foods, including:
- Dairy products
- Some fortified cereals and plant-based milk
It can also be found in supplements, including:
- vitamin B12 tablets
- vitamin B12 injections
- vitamin B12 nasal spray
Compounding pharmacies can also create custom vitamin B12 formulations to meet your specific needs. Speak with your compounding pharmacist to see if this is an option.
How Much Vitamin B12 Should I Take?
The recommended daily allowance (RDA) for vitamin B12 is 2.4 micrograms (mcg) for adults. However, some people may need more vitamin B12 than others, including:
- Pregnant women
- Breastfeeding women
- People with certain medical conditions
- Vegetarians and vegans
- Older adults
If you are unsure how much vitamin B12 you should take, speak with your healthcare provider. Doctors can help you determine the right dosage for your individual needs.
What Are the Benefits of Taking a Vitamin B12 Supplement?
There are many benefits of taking a vitamin B12 supplement, including:
- Improving energy levels
- Boosting mood
- Enhancing cognitive function
- Reducing the risk of some types of cancer
- Improving fertility
- Reducing the risk of congenital disabilities
How Do I Choose the Right Vitamin B12 Supplement for Me?
When choosing a vitamin B12 supplement, there are a few things you should keep in mind, including:
- The form of vitamin B12. Vitamin B12 is available in many forms, including tablets, capsules, injections, and nasal sprays. Talk to your healthcare provider about which form is right for you.
- The dosage. Be sure to choose a supplement with the right vitamin B12 for your needs.
- Your dietary restrictions. If you are vegetarian or vegan, choose a vitamin B12 supplement that does not contain animal products.
- Any other medications you are taking. Vitamin B12 can interact with certain medications, so be sure to speak with your healthcare provider before starting a supplement.
Tips for Getting Enough Vitamin B12 in Your Diet
If you are not getting enough vitamin B12 in your diet, there are a few things you can do to increase your intake, including:
- Eat more vitamin B12-rich foods, such as meat, fish, poultry, dairy products, eggs, fortified cereals and plant-based milk.
- Take a vitamin B12 supplement.
- Have your vitamin B12 levels checked by a healthcare provider. If you are low in vitamin B12, they may recommend vitamin B12 injections.
- Speak with a compounding pharmacist about custom vitamin B12 formulations.
Vitamin B12 is an essential vitamin that plays a role in many important processes in the body. If you are not getting enough vitamin B12 in your diet, you can do a few things to increase your intake. Speak with your healthcare provider or compounding pharmacist to learn more about how to get the right amount of vitamin B12 for your individual needs.
Ask a Pharmacist
Not close to us? No problem! Have your doctor fax your prescription and we will ship your custom compound with free overnight shipping.